WELCOME TO THE BURGENLAND GENEALOGY SOURCE
The Province of Burgenland, located in the southeast of Austria, was formed from parts of the Hungarian counties (Megye) of Vas, Sopron and Moson following WW-I (see map). While it is Austria's youngest province, it can claim to be one of the oldest also, as it has a fascinating history worthy of being studied in detail. The population is comprised mainly of people of Germanic, Croatian and Hungarian descent. From the 1850's through the 1950's, many inhabitants emigrated to the United States, Canada, South America and elsewhere. Our primary purpose is to develop genealogical data concerning those emigrants. We can help locate Burgenland villages through their Hungarian, German, and Croatian names, identify parishes and locations of municipal offices, and identify available church and civil records. In our monthly newsletter, we publish family names and data appearing in old records plus items and articles of Burgenland historical and cultural interest. We link researchers through an e-mail network. We engage actively in uncovering records available for genealogical research. Through the Burgenland Bunch Homepage, you can hyperlink to many other related sites. If your interest is the Burgenland, we can help you.
Read this month's Newsletter here
● The index to on-line formatted newsletters (2006-2015) is here
● The index to archived email-formatted newsletters (1997-2009) is here
Enter Key Words below to search many of the Burgenland Bunch pages...
History of the Group:
Formed and organized by Gerry Berghold when he established e-mail connections with other Burgenland researchers on AOL in the summer of 1996. First newsletter, "THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS," e-mailed to members on January 11, 1997. This web page was first posted on January 25, 1997. Read more here.
Geschichte des Vereins:
Im Sommer 1996 von Gerry Berghold auf der Basis von e-mail-Kontakten zu anderen Burgenland-Amerikanern gegründet. Erster e-mail-newsletter "THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS" am 11. Jänner 1997 an die Mitglieder versandt. Diese Homepage besteht seit 25. Jänner 1997. Für weitere Informationen in deutscher Sprache senden Sie bitte ein e-mail an Klaus Gerger.
wish to join the Burgenland Bunch, have your information listed and receive newsletters, you must
fill out the New Member Information Form at the link here
and below. We ask you to submit your name, city and state (or country) of residence, email address
for replies, Burgenland family names being researched, villages (if known) and place settled by
immigrants. Please try to include all data; deviation from this may cause your request to be
Dem "Burgenland Bunch" beitreten:
Wenn Sie dem Burgenland Bunch beitreten, auf der Webseite mit der Mitgliederliste eingetragen werden, und die Newsletters per E-mail erhalten wollen, müssen Sie das "New Member Information Form" (elektronisches Beitrittsformular) ausfüllen. Das Formular fragt nach Ihrem Namen, Wohnort, Land und E-mail Adresse, den von Ihnen geforschten Familiennamen, falls bekannt auch den Herkunftsorten im Burgenland bzw. angrenzenden Gebieten, sowie, falls zutreffend, den Orten der Emigration. Versuchen Sie bitte, alle Daten einzuschließen. Abweichungen können dazu führen, dass Ihre Anmeldung nicht behandelt werden kann.
Join the Bunch (see notes below)
●●● use this New Member Information Form
● Please check our Membership List to verify that you have not already joined.
● Use the Change Form below to change information about an existing membership.
● New members are automatically subscribed to our newsletter e-mail notification.
Update your Information
●●● use this Change Member Information Form
Resubscribe to the BB Newsletter E-mail Notification (members only)
●●● use this Newsletter Resubscribe Form
Cancel your Membership or Unsubscribe from the Newsletter E-mail Notification
●●● use this Cancel/Unsubscribe Form
● Canceling your membership includes an automatic unsubscribe from the newsletter e-mail notification.
● Unsubscribing from the newsletter e-mail notification does not imply canceling your membership.
● The current newsletter is on our home page; past newsletters are in our archives.
NOTICE (Terms and Conditions): The Burgenland Bunch (BB) was
formed and exists to assist Burgenland descendants in their research into their heritage and, toward
that end, reserves the right to use any communication you have with us (email, letter, phone
conversation, etc.) as part of our information exchange and educational research efforts.
● If you do not want your communication to be used for this purpose, indicate that it is "confidential" and we will abide by that request.
● Correspondents who communicate with the BB without requesting confidentiality retain their copyright but give a non-exclusive license to the BB allowing us to forward to BB members, publish in our monthly newsletter or on our website, and/or subsequently and permanently archive all or parts of such communications.
Burgenland Bunch Main Index:
IF A NEW MEMBER OR YOU WISH TO JOIN THE BB, CHECK OUT THESE WEB PAGES FIRST:
Invitation Letter: Read, download and follow instructions if you wish to join the Burgenland Bunch. Read to see what the BB can do for you. Also contains a list of our editorial staff who can be contacted for questions.
Members: Names, e-mail addresses and interests of over 2000 Members (some email addresses are inactive, please send in your update!).
Surnames: Over 7500 surname entries being researched by members. New ones added frequently.
Villages: Hundreds of villages being researched by members as well as thumb-nail village histories.
Houselists: Names of home owners and house numbers (from about 1857).
LDS Microfilms: LDS Microfilm numbers for Burgenland villages.
District Maps: Maps of the Burgenland districts and their neighboring regions, with village names in Austrian, Hungarian and Croatian form.
Query Board: View and post Burgenland queries and get answers -- courtesy of Austrian GenWeb. Over 5000 questions and answers.
Internet Links: Hundreds of our favorite internet links, frequently reviewed. Hyperlinks to other websites which may help you.
Burgenländers Honored and Remembered (BH&R): Burial locations and tombstone information of 18,000+ Burgenland immigrants. BB members are encouraged to provide information about their deceased Burgenland-born ancestors for inclusion on the site.
USEFUL DATA AND RESOURCES:
Albert's Village Data: Bezirks (districts), parishes, German and Hungarian names for all villages. Find where church (parish) and civil records are located for your family village of origin.
Emigration & Deportation: Emigration & Deportation Lists from selected villages.
German Script Letters: Examples of the various German-script handwriting.
Hungarian Maps: Maps of Hungary and/or the portions of pre-1921 West Hungary that relate to Burgenland.
Songbook: Web page of Burgenland ethnic songs and more. Find a lullaby your grandmother may have sung.
Krobotek Church Records: BB Member Ed Malesky's extracts of 260 birth records, 53 marriage records and 103 death records.
Wallern in der Geschichte seiner Häuser: Father Graisy's book about the history of the houses of Wallern.
Village, Church and Regional History Books (Chroniks) List: A listing of known Burgenland Village, Church and Regional history books (Chroniks).
Village Thumbnail Histories: "Thumbnail" histories for most Burgenland Villages.
People on the Border: English translation of Johann Dobrovich's book about the History of the Burgenland Croats, by Frank Teklits.
The History of Neuberg im Burgenland: English translation of Dr. Robert Hajszan's Neuberg history book "Zur Geschichte von Neuberg im Burgenland / Ranija Povijest Nove Gore."
LIST OF LINKS... ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE ABOVE, PLEASE VISIT THESE WEB PAGES:
Notice to Users: Whether a new contact or long-time Burgenland Bunch member, please read.
How To Use The BB Website: A primer about how to develop a Burgenland genealogy.
Just A Little Interest In Genealogy?: The simplest, but least rewarding, approach to Burgenland family history.
Genealogical Research - Helpful Hints: How to use Diocesan Archives - Diocesan Library - Diocesan Museum in Eisenstadt (capital of Burgenland) when visiting Austria. Library contains fragments of the oldest church records extant.
Berghold Award: Photos from presentation of Burgenland award to BB founder, Gerry Berghold.
Dedication Page: Dedication page honoring our founder, Gerry Berghold.
Events: Provides pictures and text about past Burgenland-related events.
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions by Burgenland Bunch members.
Staff: A Photomontage of all Staff Members.
Gerry Berghold's Burgenland Library - Catalog: Gerry Berhold's collection of Burgenland and genealogical books were placed at the Allentown Family History Center, 1881 Van Buren Dr, Whitehall, PA, and are available there for public use. This link provides the catalog of available books.
Where We Are: States and countries where BB residents reside.
Rootsweb BB Archives: An obsolete archives of BB Newsletters, having been replaced by one on the BB website located here. However, the old archive still contains the earliest 194 newsletters.
Burgenländische Gemeinschaft (BG): Webpage of the association established in 1956 with the objective to build a global community of Burgenländers, notably of Burgenländers who emigrated to other European countries, to the USA, or to other overseas countries, and to foster their attachment to their homeland.
Burgenländische Gemeinschaft Newsletter Archive: PDF Archive of the BG Newsletters from 1956-2009, presented by permission of the BG.
Spirit of Gradiće - Őrvidék Group: Hannes Graf has closed this website. Much of its material was contributed to the BB and is now available on our website, accessible via the links below:
- Father Graisy Book: Hannes' version (provides additional translations of "special pages")
- Burgenland Buildings: Articles about castles, churches, parks, etc. in Burgenland
- Burgenland Villages: Articles about villages in greater Burgenland
- Croatian History in Austria/Hungary: A translation of Burgenland-Croatian history material
- Burgenland Articles: Burgenland-related articles that do not fit elsewhere above
Midwest Burgenland Bunch: An affiliate of the BB based in St. Paul, MN (has a local BH&R also).
OTHER IMPORTANT RECORDS: (not on our website)
► Early Urbaria (Property Tax Records):
- 1715 Urbariam: http://220.127.116.11/adatbazisokol/adatbazis/az-1715_-evi-orszagos-osszeiras/
- 1720 Urbariam: http://18.104.22.168/adatbazisokol/adatbazis/az-1720_-evi-orszagos-osszeiras/
- the above websites are presented in the Hungarian language.
- there is a design flaw that causes the selection menu to extend beyond the bottom of the page; change your browser Zoom to 75% to see the whole menu.
- for Burgenland, use counties (megye) Moson, Sopron or Vas. However, Vas is not included in the 1715 census.
- estates and villages are usually listed by their Hungarian names, though a few German names are used (spelling is 'freeform' regardless of language)
► Church Books Online:
- Matricula Images with Indexes for St. Pölten and Wien dioceses: http://www.matricula-online.eu/
- Matricula Images with Indexes for Graz-Seckau diocese (Styria): http://matriken.graz-seckau.at/
- Matricula and Other Indexes: http://www.GenTeam.at/ (free but requires registration to use)
► Burgenland property GIS (Geographical Information System):
- http://gis.bgld.gv.at/WebGIS/synserver?project=Kataster (free but requires pre-registering to use)
Back to top of page
Credits and Acknowledgements
|President:||Thomas J Steichen (Greencastle, PA, USA)|
|Vice President:||Klaus Gerger (Wien und Güssing, Österreich)|
|Founder:||Gerald J Berghold (deceased)|
|Newsletter Editor:||Tom Steichen|
|Members Editor:||Hannes Graf|
|Internet/URL Editor:||Alan Varga|
|Houselists & Maps Editor:||Klaus Gerger|
|BH&R Editor:||Frank Paukowits|
|Home Page Editor:||Tom Steichen|
|Surnames and Villages Editor:||-open-|
|Original Graphic Design:||Michael Spahitz|
|Contributing Editors:||See BB Staff Page (click here)|
The Burgenland Bunch, ©1997-2015, all rights reserved.
Comments or suggestions are welcome
This page was last updated on 25 May 2015