Go back to Villages, Page N Go to
Village Histories Index Page
Neustift bei Güssing
Village of 560 residents in the Güssing district.
In 1604, Count Franz BATTHYANY took a loan from two (free) inhabitants of Neustift bei Güssing: from the wife (or widow) of Hans GRÖLLER and from RAYMIS aka Stefan KULCSAR. A document, signed by Count Christoph BATTHYANY in 1669, tells us that Stefan KULCSAR received one "sessio" of the village land, on which he built himself a house; his (tax-)free status was to last until the BATTHYANY paid back the debt; neighbour to this "sessio" was (in 1669 ?) a person named Nikli ILLIG. This 1669 document was handed out to Jakob RAYMIS, grandson of Stefan KULCSAR and his wife Frondl (= Veronika) CZIGNER and their children.
Neustift bei Güssing was burned down in 1605 by the BOCSKAY rebels.
Baptism records from 1669-1699 give the following names for people born in Neustift: Bauer, Pal, Nikles, Svalles, Draxler, Ingesics, Fersinger, Willisch, Posch, Nikics (Nikitscher), Nör, Gibisinger, Hanns, Knor, Nichal, Weber, Hafner, Schweitzer, Jörg, Minzeg, Pum, Philesmerty, Michel, Gröller, Peingurl, Greger, Mayr, Iling, Jagadics, Radis, Stimperger, Tapler, Petanovics, Fux, Fidler, Higecs, Hofer, Preiner, Prenner, Rämitz, Mor, Fischl, Bertl, Wechsler, Remisch, Peidel, Janespacher, Nistoz, Hosenpurger, Stumper, Radanovicz, Janos, Nochloch, Knaus, Wäliz, Rabath, Gaber, Kemeter, Kocher (Kucher), Jani, Ogner, Nichas, Jörg, Gittersdorff, Kamerle (Hammerle?), Has, Grogel, Ederer, Walsinger, Punch, Kober, Ratz, Philes, Vierhösl, Jakadicz, Jävispacher, Schusj, Sarger, Pek, Schmerdl, Stadinger, Posch, Botncz (Bodisch?), Lessl, Welfinger, Schermann, Reisinger, Donovicz, Fischer, Griebbauer, Heisler, Gili, Jagodicz, Hanczel, Simonsicz, Buslinger, Hasenpauer, Kurtz, Belacz, Schneider, Reicher, Stubenvoll, Adam, Simecz, Schmied, Heilimann, Peitl, Mendicz.
During 1580-1634, a part of the inhabitants were Lutherans, belonging to the Kukmirn parish; the Catholics belonged to Güssing parish and were also buried there until around 1800. Neustift bei Güssing already had a chapel with a bell in 1757, later they acquired a second bell. Both were taken away during WW I. In 1922, three bells were bought, 2 by the Catholics, 1 by the Lutherans, with the help of American emigrants.
The Catholic school can be traced back to 1799 when "Ludirektor" (teacher) Franz STRASSER died, aged 40. On 10 Apr 1828, Anna KOCHER, daughter of "the former teacher," died. We know more about the third "Ludimagister," Michael MÜLL: He wrote a "Rechenbuch" (mathematics book) in Neustift on 9 July 1824; from 1824-1829, three of his children were born there; in 1832, he was teacher in Inzenhof; then in Urbersdorf, where from 1837-1843, four of his children were born. In 1843, Johann RUISZ was teacher; he had 8 children there from 1844-1857. Other teachers: 1893-1900 Paul WESZELOVITS; 1900-1923 Emerich PRENNER; 1923-? Stefan SCHMAL.
The Lutheran school started in 1824. Known teachers: 1861-79 Johann Georg OCHSENHOFER; 1879-82 Theophil LUIPERSBECK; 1882-1923 Alexander KURZ; 1923-? Tobias BRUCKNER.
Names of Gypsy families are (in 1929) SARKÖZI, BARANYAI and HORVATH. They can be traced back to the 18th century.
Source: Dr. Josef Loibersbeck's series "Um den Eisenberg", published in "Volk und Heimat" 22/1956-1/1957; summarized and translated by Albert Schuch 10 Nov 1999.
Go back to Villages, Page N Go to Village Histories Index Page